Not sure what has happened since the 1996 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages! But it doesn’t feel like we have yet seen some of the interfaces many thought where coming. Some great journal articles. Plenty to follow up and will help define rules for my UI. Ben Shneiderman’s is excellent.
The eyes have it: a task by data type taxonomy for information visualizations
Overview first, zoom and filter, then details-on-demand
- Overview: Gain an overview of the entire collection.
- Zoom : Zoom in on items of interest
- Filter: filter out uninteresting items. Details-on-demand:Select an item or group and get details when needed.
- Relate: View relations hips among items.
- History: Keep a history of actions to support undo, replay, and progressive refinement.
- Extract: Allow extraction of sub-collections and of the query parameters.